Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Fading puppies

Ashes' puppies are starting to fade, one by one. They have never been as big as Mera's pup at the correlating age. Now some of them are losing weight. Lester was the largest at birth and is now about half the size as the rest. He is a baggie of bones. Ellie, the chocolate one, is not as small as Lester, but is smaller than the others. She has taken a turn for the worse this evening. I'm not sure she is going to make it through the night. If there is something seriously wrong with these guys that is going to be a life long problem, I'm not sure I should interfere with nature. I keep thinking of the original Ellie and of Baby Junior. Should I save them, should I not. I wrapped Ellie in a blankie to keep her warm and gave her to Bryony to hold while I cleaned the pup areas. Bry called me over. Ellie was dying, no question about it. Aaagghhhh! I couldn't stand it and sprang in to action. She responded as if by magic to the corn syrup, fluids, and syringe fed formula. That means she was having nothing more than a hypoglycemic reaction (her blood sugar level was dropping too low - she was too dehydrated and starving). She was up walking around within minutes. I'll take her to the vet in the morning.

No comments: