Saturday, December 13, 2008

Poor Fred

Michelle's favorite puppy's name is Fred. Right from the very beginning Fred was the most talkative and most mobile one in the pack. He seemed perfectly normal and healthy. Over time he gradually became skinny and got a big head. Yesterday he started crying more, and by night time he yelled whenever he was awake. Today he started screaming whenever he was awake. We can no longer put off what needs to be done. It is completely obvious he is hydrocephalic (water on the brain), has a horrible headache, and will die an agonizing death if we don't have it done humanely. I called around to find a vet that is open and will see us right away. Today is Saturday (of course). I ended up going to the vet hospital where Peanut Butter was recently. Because Poor Fred is so tiny, less than a pound, they had to have him breathe in some sleepy-time gas so he would be asleep (literally) when they injected the euthanasia serum directly into his heart. Poor Fred is dead. This has really affected Michelle. It was kind of hard on me too, but I've been around and have learned not to let myself get too attached anymore. For Michelle though, this is her first litter and this was her favorite puppy. This is the puppy she always held whenever she watched TV or cruised the 'net. She loves her Chihuahua's and was all set to keep this little puppy. She couldn't/didn't go to the vet with me. Poor Michelle, I hate seeing her go through this. I understand though, I've been there/done that/wrote the book.

Peanut now has four puppies. She is doing well now.

No comments: