Friday, December 01, 2006

The night the lights went out

Today was part frustrating part fun. I started out working on answering emails. This is what some of the new emails were: 1) 2nd inquiry from a family that is interested in Steve, 1) a different person also with a follow up question regarding Steve 3) an application for a puppy, no specific pup 4) application for one of Tink's pups 5) new inquiry from a prospective guardian family (came accross to me as a half hearted inquiry, nothing to get too excited about), 6) Liuda is not coming in today. First I went through and read all the emails and deleted the junk mail. Then I went through and was answering them. I was in the middle of answering one when the power went out. Oh that is right, we were in the middle of a big storm. Our power frequently goes out and usually comes right back on. I wasn't terribly worried about it. Well, after an hour I started getting antsy. Somebody (probably a body that walks on 4 legs) chewed up my cell phone charger and I haven't replaced it yet. That means that in essence, I don't have a cell phone. Also, all our phones are cordless and that means they don't work without electricity. I was expecting a prospective guardian family to come this afternoon to meet Bessie, our new parti dood. She was supposed to call first. I had no way of calling her and she wouldn't be able to get hold of me. I also wanted to be available in case somebody wanted to call and get a puppy. So, I loaded up the girls during this high wind (it sounded like our roof was going to blow off) and went to K-Mart. I got a cell phone charger and a corded land line phone. Jill was funny. When we got home and I hooked the corded phone up, Jill went over to it and said "It is like a phone". Kids these days...
The power never did come back on today. The good neighbor called to let me know it was not expected to be repaired until tomorrow. That means I had no computer today! Holy cow! That was so frustrating. I couldn't go check my email while eating. I couldn't go read the forums while waiting for the power to come back on either. We are on well water and have an electric pump. That means that once the holding tank was empty we would have no water. I was in the middle of doing the dishes (between emails) when the power went out so at least we had 2 sinks full of water. I finished the dishes and left the water in there so we could wash our hands. I also filled up the dogs water bowls with the water that was left in the holding tank. The prospective guardian family called to say they would not be out today. They will come tomorrow afternoon instead.

Going without power is fun every now and then. This is one of those times. Rick fixed a nice steak dinner and we ate by candle light (of course). Jill went to spend the night at my mom's, Bry went to a friend's house, Rick went out with his buddy. Aahhhhhh, that meant the Doodles and I had the whole quiet house to ourselves. Ahhhhhhh....that is bliss. After I let the dogs and pups (Robbie and Steve are doing well with potty training) out to potty and back in, I washed their feet the best I could with the damp towel I used on them this morning. Then I layered up in warm jammies, gathered my blankie and pillows and fixed up my favorite chair for the night. I snuggled down with a flashlight on my shoulder and read "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia B. McConnell until I fell asleep. Ahhhh...life doesn't get much better than that.

No comments: