Saturday, January 20, 2007

Why I have chosen to withdraw my membership from the ILA

I have been suspended from the ILA (International Labradoodle Association, aka Labradoodle Association of America, aka Australian Labradoodle Association of America).
Here are the highlights of the story:
Picture it...the year was 1936 and it was a hot day in Cicely....wait a minute, this is supposed to be serious.

I gave a Velvet/Koby daughter, Ashes, to someone who wanted to become a breeder (yeah yeah, I know...when will I learn), and in return she was to pay for the
testing and give me some return pups. At 12 months, Ashes'PennHip scores were .58/.68 no DJD. That isn't that great, but I've seen respected breeders breed with
higher scores with good results. She opted to breed one litter then
spay her. The breeding didn't take and Ashes didn't get pregnant. At 18
months she took her in for retesting. The vet told her Ashes' hips were
bad and there was no way she would pass OFA . (yeah I've heard that
before. Remember the stud I neutered at the vet's word and then the
results came back with good hips?) I told her she could either spay her
and sell her and keep the money to recoup some of her expenses, or she
could send her back to me. I told her if she sends Ashes back to me,
I'm not going to just take her vet's word for it and I'd have her
retested. I told her if she does not pass the Pennhip , I'd spay her and
try to sell her and give her the proceeds to offset some of her
expenses. If she did pass, I would breed her one time with Meeko (PH .27/.27), and reimburse her expenses. So, she opted to send her back to me. On Nov 9, 2006 I took Ashes to my PennHip vet for retesting. I told him about the other vet's findings and asked him that when he was doing the PH x-rays to please spay her while she
is out if he agrees that she obviously has hipdysplasia. Well, he did not spay her. The PennHip report came back .60/.65 no DJD (no hip dysplasia). Again, that is not great, but if bred with the right stud, there should be no problems. So, that was two different PH tests by two different vets that showed no DJD. I bred her one time with Meeko. His mom's PH is .38/.38, dad is Good, brother is .26/.26. Ashes' dad is PH .38/.38 and BVA 2+2, mom is BVA 10. Ashes and Meeko ought to make some good pet puppies. ...but I digress, sometime after I bred them I heard from the other person. She got the results of the OFA Preliminary Evaluation and said Ashes has mild hip dysplasia. Hmm, interesting that it doesn't match the 2 PHs or what my vet said. Some time later I received a notice from the ILA that there was an incident report filed against me. With that report they included the OFA report. That was the first I had seen it. The report date on the OFA report was Nov 14th. Two weeks later I was suspended from the ILA. I will copy and paste it here, it is so stupid I couldn't make something like that up:

"Summary: The ALAA has determined that Lincoln Manor Lady Ashes ALAA-003292, was diagnosed by OFA on November 14, 2006 with Mild HD and sublaxtation. Jane Stanger determined to withhold this knowledge and retest Lady Ashes using the PennHip testing agency. PennHip did not detect the previous diagnosed condition. Jane Stanger of Lincoln Manor Labradoodles then bred Lady Ashes while a member of the ALAA under the ALAA Code of Ethics. It is unknown if the PennHIP diagnosis was a misdiagnosed, or if the previous OFA report was in error. Furthermore a more accurate retest would have been to request OFA
to reevaluate a new set of x-rays with full disclosure of the previous
report. Due to this absence of disclosure it is assumed that theOFA report is may be accurate and/or PennHIP was mislead by Lincoln Manor."

O.k. now, let's go through this line by line:

- The ALAA has determined that Lincoln Manor Lady Ashes ALAA-003292, was diagnosed by OFA on November 14, 2006 with Mild HD and sublaxtation.
= I did not do this test and the results were not sent to me. I did not
know about it. Incidentally, this is a Preliminary Evaluation.

- Jane Stanger determined to withhold this knowledge and retest Lady Ashes using the PennHip testing agency. = Uh...Nov 9th comes before Nov 14th. I had her tested on Nov 9th, there was no knowledge to withhold.

- PennHip did not detect the previous diagnosed condition. = What previous diagnosed condition?

- Jane Stanger of Lincoln Manor Labradoodles then bred Lady Ashes while a member of the ALAA under the ALAA Code of Ethics. = Yes I did, with the knowledge of the two PH reports.

- It is unknown if the PennHIP diagnosis was a misdiagnosed, or if the previous OFA report was in error. = Two PennHip tests reported no DJD and one OFA preliminary evaluation reported mild HD. Apparently the ALAA chooses to assume the OFA is the correct one.

- Furthermore a more accurate retest would have been to request OFA
to reevaluate a new set of x-rays with full disclosure of the previous
report. = The PennHip was the retest of a previous PennHip test. Again, the 9th comes before the 14th.

- Due to this absence of disclosure it is assumed that the OFA report is may be accurate and/or PennHIP was mislead by Lincoln Manor. = I'm telling you, I am not making this up. The suspension report really says this. Again again, the 9th comes before the 14th. There was nothing to disclose. There was no OFA report to disclose. The PennHip radiologists are capable of determining their own diagnosis. I am not psychic.

When I told my vet about this he laughed. I won't say his exact words, but ...um...he thought it was pretty ridiculous.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! That is amazing. It sounds like a memo from the state department of education or OSHA or something (bureaucracy extraordinaire). How frustrating, too, because it would probably be a full-time job to try to "appeal". What happened when you tried to explain it to them? Or have you just been too disgusted to even bother? I think that's how I would feel.