Tuesday, June 17, 2008

To stay or not to stay

Before I left on vacation, I told my boss I was likely not going to stay in their employ. The hours are too long and it requires too much on-call time. It just takes way too much time away from my Labradoodles (oh, and away from my family too). They offered me a couple different positions to stay and asked me to think about while I was away. I thought about it, and today I accepted the Wound Care Nurse position. The hours are better, less on call, and I can still take Velvet with me (just not in a room when I am tending to a wound). I absolutely love wound care, not surgical wounds, but big deep yucky pressure wounds (bed sores). Let me clarify that. I don't like it when patients get sores. I feel sad for them and sorry for them. As a nurse, the reason I like them is because they are measurable and (usually) fixable. I'm sure that patients usually get better in spite of what we do to them, not because of what we do for them. With wounds, I can actually see the results of my level of care. If I do everything just right and take meticulous care, my work pays off and the wound gets smaller and smaller and becomes healed. There is so much paperwork with this job. I have an office with my very own desk. I share an office with 2 other people. I will be able to take Velvet to work with me and she can stay in the office while I'm out doing dressing changes. This will be great.

No comments: