Wednesday, August 08, 2007

First Class Puppy

This morning I got up at 2:00 AM and left for the airport at 3:00 a.m. As I was checking in at the terminal I decided to go ahead and upgrade to first class for the first leg of the trip. Why not? I've never flown first class before and thought I'd treat myself. Well, did I mention that I accidentally forgot to report to anyone that I was bringing a puppy on board? I really should have waited until they called for last call to board before getting on. That way Miles (the puppy) could have some extra time running around in the bathroom (that is a pretty good place for pups to get out and get some exercise in an airport). But...what good is to fly first class if the others don't get to see me being the first on, and if I can't sit there in the big comfy seat sipping on juice while the commoners are boarding? So, silly me, I am the first one on. We ended up in the very front row. The front row is not the best spot to sit when attempting to smuggle a happy wide awake puppy. Usually I carry the pups in a special pet back pack that is pretty big. Thank goodness I bought a new pet bag that is smaller and looks more purse-like. I was sitting there with one hand discretely stuck in the bag to try to keep the pup quiet, and pretending to calmly read my book that I really I have open just to try to hide my wiggly bag. Can you imagine what my heart rate was when I heard the pilot say "I hear puppy noises. What is making those puppy noises?" Asking the stewardess: "Is there a puppy on board?" The stewardess came out, looked around, and went back in the cockpit and said "There isn't any puppy out here". I should get an Emmy for my cool performance. I was so glad once the plane started moving. Even if they figured out Miles was there, they could stop the plane and make up get out on a cloud. Just before take off I put my bag behind my legs under the seat. Believe it or not Miles settled down and was calm the rest of the way. Well, except for when he was managed to push open the bag with his nose and try to climb out. I sat most of the way sitting forward with my elbow on my knee, holding the book on my lap and discretely danging my other hand down to keep checking on the pup. Whew! We made it to DC undetected. As far as flying first class...hmmm, that was an expensive glass of orange juice. I think I'll stick with the commoners next time. The next leg we were sitting in the very back row by the window. That was a perfect spot. There was a young mom holding a 10 month baby beside me and two unaccompanied children sitting in front of us. Perfect. Miles sat part of the way on my lap and the rest of the way in the bag under the seat in front of us. He was a perfect gentleman. I do want to mention that this airline does allow small pets in the cabin. It just makes the trip ever so much more exciting to "sneak" him on.

Miles new family was so excited and thrilled that they hugged me and gave me a kiss. Aww, how nice. His new mom is also a nurse and is also planning on training him to go to work with her.

The return was delayed so they changed my flight, then they changed it back, then that flight was canceled so they changed it again. After hours of waiting, I flew to DC (was in the front row but not first class), had to run to find the shuttle that took me to the next plane, ran to the plane, and just made it before they closed the door. Whew! I was in the front row but not first class on this flight too. Finally made it home just before midnight.

No comments: