Saturday, August 04, 2007

Full day

Today Velvet stayed with me all day at work. She was perfect. She was on leash for about 1/2 hour then I took it off. She stayed right with me. Once when we were in a resident's room I put her (Velvet, not the resident) in a down-stay so I could run down the hall to grab something. When I came back she was right where I told her to stay. I was so proud. A couple other times I put her in a down-stay outside a resident's room so I could go in without her. I'm paying close attention to the people's verbal and nonverbal cues to know who would prefer not to have a dog get close to them. Anyway, each time Velvet stayed right where I told her to. It is so wonderful that all that training I have put in her is paying off. Really though, yes the training is essential, but her nonflappable disposition is most important. That is not something that can be trained or taught, it is just her. I love her she is the best. With Lacey's (Velvet/Koby daughter) third litter, I will probably breed her with Da Vinci again just so I can keep one of the puppies. Hmmm, maybe not. Velvet will only be 9 yrs old and still have another good 4 or 5 years. At any rate, somewhere along the line I want to keep a Velvet grandpup. One that also has DaVinci in him would be perfect.

No comments: