Monday, April 23, 2007

Eyes

There is a test that can be done on dogs DNA to see if they have, or if they can pass on, Progressive Retinal Atrophy. That is an eye disease that leads to blindness. Here is the link that tells about it. This is really exciting to be able to know for sure that this disease can be wiped out of a breed. A bunch of Labradoodle breeders are testing all their breeding dogs for this so hopefully it will not become a problem with the breed. Once parents are tested clear if it, there is no need to test their pups because it is impossible for parents who do not carry it to pass it on. I tested all my breeding dogs except TinkerBelle and Kingston. They will be tested with the next clinic. All the once I tested are clear of it. That means that not only do they not have it, they don't carry it either. I also tested Velvet, she is clear too. I'm so pleased.

No comments: