Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A crabby rant

I don't get some people. Why would someone go to all the trouble of talking on the phone with me several times, fill out an application, drive 2 hours to pick the pup they want, and only then ask how much they are and act all freaked out at the price? Yes, they read my website and made many references to it. My prices are no secret and are right there on the puppies page and the pricing and policy page? Was that supposed to be my cue to come down on the price? ...not gonna happen. They are already priced lower than other Australian Labradoodles. There are no ugly or defective puppies in this litter. This is a premium litter and I'm not lowering my price on them. I digress. Maybe I'm just an oddball. It wouldn't occur to me to spend so much time and go to so much trouble without addressing the price first. I understand someone not having $2000 to spend on a dog. Just please check the price before calling or coming over. If you want a $500 dog then please don't call me. If you are planning on getting a $500 doodle then please don't waste my time by pretending you are going to get one of mine just so you can come out and see what a doodle looks like. That is not nice and is inconsiderate. I guess I'm wasting my time saying that here because the people that do that certainly wouldn't be bothered reading this. Oh well, I am feeling better already. The issue of people not checking my price before calling is not new. It happens enough that my husband even put a note on the website right next to our phone number:
"Please! Before contacting us with questions about puppy availability and/or pricing, visit our "Available Puppies" and "Pricing and Policy" pages. You can access those pages from the sidebar on the left. Thank you."
It doesn't really help. People still call and say "yeah...I'm calling about yer Goldendoodles...How much are they?" "What?!? You've got to be kidding me? Do people really pay that much? They've got 'em in the paper for $200." Uh huh, I'm just sure those $200 doodles come from health tested parents, have a 2 year health warrantee, and are already spayed/neutered, and all that other good stuff. I'm sure the people selling the $200 doodles have done the extensive research and do this as their full time job. Umm hmmm On the other hand, I do understand that not everyone is willing to spend so much on a dog. People are funny about what they will and will not spend their money on. A friend of my husband thinks it is riduclous to pay so much on a dog, yet thinks nothing of buying a $30,000 car (I couldn't bring myself to do that) , a $3,000 golf cart just to ride around his yard (he doesn't play golf), expensive wine, an expensive home that is not on acres, a boat, etc... Yet, he won't pay more than several hundred dollars for a dog even though his dogs tend to not be terribly healthy and he has to pay a bunch of vet bills. I suppose it is just the mindset we grew up with.

I feel better now. Thank you.

1 comment:

Teri.p said...

You're welcome. I'm glad you feel better. That really stinks.