Friday, October 20, 2006

Josie is what?!?

Josie just has not been recovering quite the way she should. She
just...well, she is just not nice. She has been a female dog. Something
is not right with her. She used to be so sweet, but not lately. First I
attributed it to her being in heat. Then she settled down and we
thought everything was o.k. Then when she came here to have puppies she
was not nice toLiuda or my sister and I blamed it on the brand new
puppies. After a couple of weeks she was fine until all of a sudden a
couple of days ago she growled and acted unfriendly to a friend. She
has never bitten anyone, but still, that is so not right for her or for
aLabradoodle in general. There is really no choice in what we have to
do for her. Something is wrong with her so she must be spayed. If her
hormones are all out of balance then that will take care of it. These
are some of the best puppies we have had yet. She had very quickly
turned into my most valuable breeding girl. But...(don't you hate big
buts)...this is not all about Lincoln Manor. This is what is best for
Josie. It is best for Josie to be spayed to see if that is why she is
not as calm andsweet as she was. Also, if she is just a bad dog then I
certainly don't want to breed her. So bright and early this morning I
took her to the vet to be spayed.

Lewis, the unclaimed chocolate
puppy boy also went to the vet this morning to be neutered. Every
litter I say I am not going to spay/neuter the pups until they are
chosen. This time, based on how Josie is acting, I think it is prudent
to not keep a stud from her. Oh, but he is so scrumptious and has been
my favorite all along.

Honey, our little female we are keeping
back for breeding went to the vet this morning too. Her two lower
canine teeth are coming in wrong. They are going in too far and if not
pulled they will poke the roof of her mouth. So she is just going to
get those teeth pulled. I was so afraid they would not be careful and
just spay her without reading her card to see what I want done. Before
I took her in I got a red Sharpie marker and wrote on her belly. I drew
a big red circle with a line through it and wrote "do not spay". The
techs there thought that was pretty funny.

I wasn't home from
the vet's office very long when I got a call from there. It was one of
the techs. This was the conversation:
Tech: Jane have you tried to breed Josie recently?
Me: Her puppies are not yet 8 weeks old. How recently do you mean?
Tech: Well, she is pregnant. Do you want us to go ahead and do the spay?
Me: What? No, her puppies are barely weaned, they are babies, she can't be pregnant.
Tech:
Well, they have her opened up and the vet found nodules and she is just
a little bit pregnant. So do you want us to continue and spay her?
Me:
(at this point I'm thinking I would not terminate a pregnancy. I don't
care if she is pregnant by the neighbor's cat. I still wouldn't
terminate. On the other hand. I'm not stupid. Josie's puppies are not
even 8 weeks old. She hasn't gone in heat yet. There isno one here who
has impregnated her. She is not pregnant. What they found could be our
answer) Yes, I'm certain she is not pregnant. Even if you think she is,
please continue with the spay.
Tech: O.k.

A couple of hours later I spoke with the vet. She said it was a good thing they spayed her. She had a row of cysts
on her uterus. She said they most likely wouldn't have resolved on
their own and that Josie really did need spayed. She also said the
history I gave on Josie makes perfect sense with thecysts. Cysts cause hormonal imbalances and can cause aggression. Who wudda
thunk it? She said this not anything at all worry about with the
puppies. This is just one of those unfortunate things and now that she
is spayed life will be good.

About an hour after I spoke with the vet about Josie, it dawned on me...oooohhh noo...Lewis!
That wonderful little perfect chocolate wool unspoken for puppy boy. I
ran from the garage into the house and dove for the phone. I called the
vet, but it was too late. Lewis had already been neutered. I asked if
they could dig them back out of the trash and put them back on. I think
the tech thought I was teasing.

Did I mention that Josie is not
a big fan of getting combed? Have I ever mentioned that after a Doodle
has puppies it is like she goes through coat change? They get so matted
so quickly. It was around 6:00 p.m. or so when I got home with Josie
and the puppies. The pups were doing great, playing and running around
like nothing happened. Poor Josie on the other hand, she was acting
like she just had major surgery. Oh wait, she had just had major
surgery. She even puked, poor thing. If I wasn't already a big fan of
early spay/neuter, I sure would be now. Just seeing first hand over and
over the huge huge difference in their recovery is enough to convince
me. Anyway, back to Josie's coat. She is really matted quite badly. The
minute I got home and got Jill settled and put Lewis and Honey in their
own areas, I grabbed the mat buster and comb and went to work on
Josie's coat. She was letting me work through her coat with not one
protest. Wow, this was exciting. I wanted to work quickly and get as
much done as possible before she woke completely and/or before her
guardian came to get her this evening. I was so intent on getting her
done that I didn't want to stop for supper. My husband, bless him,
fixed a really nice supper for us. I figured I'd eat later. I wasn't
even half way done when Josie's guardian mom came to pick her up. She
was excited about the progress too. She has a son that is Jill's age
and they always enjoy playing together. So, Mason and Jill played and
Heather and I chatted while I worked on Josie. When it was time for me
to takeBryony to her friends house, Heather took her for me so I could
continue working on Josie. Finally at about 10:30 or so we were all
worn out and decided to call i quits. All the mats were out except the
outside of one of her rear legs. Not too bad at all.

Lewis did get chosen today. A family that wants to train him to be a bird dog is getting him.

No comments: