Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The drawback of raising puppies in the house under foot is they really are under foot.

These little Duchess' puppies are so little and they keep getting under our feet when we walk. I keep stepping on them. Once I even stepped on Petula with my full weight. She yelled, but kept right on jumping around with no limping so I knew she was o.k. Last night my husband stepped on Buddy. The poor puppy cried and limped just a little off and on. I didn't feel any broken bones and he was able to bear weight. Well, this morning he was limping and holding up his paw. I took Louis in to the vet at 8:30 to be neutered. The vet said he would call as soon as he was done and that I could bring Buddy in then for an x-ray. He called at 10:30 and I went over there. The tech said I just needed to drop Buddy off because they were too busy to get to him right them. Ugh! That is a 30 minute drive each way. I was really hoping to be able to wait and not have to make an extra trip. All day kept looking at the clock and wondering and waiting for the vet to call. Finally at 4:00 pm I couldn't stand it anymore and I called them. The tech said yes, he is ready for me to pick up now. She didn't say if his leg was broken or not. When I went there they didn't say what was wrong, they just told me what today's charges are. It was $373.00 for today. Man, that was dropping the bomb on me. I didn't pay for Louis' neuter this morning. They said to wait until I picked Buddy up. So I looked at the bill and this is what was on it: Neuter-canine (no surprise), Laser surgery (that increased the neuter by 50%), Dental extraction-normal (o.k., I do have the vet check the teeth and pull the canines if they are not coming right), isoflo (hmmm), Surgery other remove nail (what?! um, it looks like Buddy had surgery and I didn't even know it!), amoxi drops, Hospitalization-small dog. Well of all things. They went to get the vet to come talk to me (ya think?). It turns out Buddy broke his nail clear through right inside the skin. The vet went in and removed the nail and the tip of the toe. That makes perfect sense and I definately would have given the go-ahead had he called me first. Still, I think it would have been nice to know before going to pay the bill. He and Louis both seem just fine.

No comments: