Monday, November 27, 2006

The fight for the test results

I'm getting just a bit frustrated. On October 27th one of our guardian dogs went for her hip testing. Her name is Chamois. She is from Velvet and Koby's Oct 24th
2005 litter. Her guardian family took her to the vet for me. I called
the vet's office before hand to make the arrangements and pay. They
were supposed to have put it all in my name, use her registered name,
and use her microchip number. I also paid extra to get expedited
results. Well, here it is a month later. After several phone calls over
the past 2 weeks I finally have the results. It is in the guardian
family's name, my name is not listed at all. It only has her call name,
no microchip number, no registration number. I'm not happy about this. It wouldn't do any good for me to call Pennhip because since I'm listed as the owner I can't make any changes. I called the vet's office and told them that while it is nice to finally
know the results and that we can breed her, this piece of paper is not
going to do me any good. I need the certificate to at least have her
registered name and/or micro chip number on it, preferably both.

Before this string of bad luck, I had all but decided to spay Chamois and not
breed her since she isn't the most beautiful doodle I've ever seen.
However, she has a terrific disposition, good conformation, and is just
a great all around dog. I decided to go ahead and do her health testing
and if they turn out really good then she should be bred. There is more
to a good dog than good looks. Do you remember Deni, the very first
puppy born here? Wellll, I can't really say she would win any beauty pageants either. However, she had great health test results and is very smart and athletic. She and Koby had a litter here before moving along and not all the puppies are ugly.
When deciding if a dog should be bred this is some of what we look at:
over all general health, temperament, parents, pedigree, health of siblings, hips, eyes, thyroid, coat quality, over all beauty, conformation. Each one of those things is just one part of the whole. If one area is lacking a little then she can be bred with a dog that is very strong in that area.
Speaking of Deni's puppies. Here is a picture I got today of one of her cute puppies born here Oct '04. His baby picture
Here he is at 2 years oldBow all grown up.
My babies are growing up.

Woo Hoo! We are famous. The news segment went well. I didn't look too stupid.

No comments: