Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sally is fading in an out

Sally is the little Rosie puppy I am watching as a potential breeding girl. I had been planning on keeping a puppy from one of these litters to live here with us all the time, not be a guardian pup. As soon as sally was born I knew she was the one. Here she is Sally at only a few hours old. She is the one that had to go to the hospital right after she was born. She did o.k. Monday evening and part of Tuesday. She seemed to be getting pushed aside so I tube fed her a couple of times tuesday and a few times yesterday. This morning when I went to check on them, Sally was to the side, away from everyone else. She was cold and had a weak cry. She was fading fast. I quickly gave her some honey and tube fed her. I wrapped her up in a little soft blankie and put her in my shirt to warm her up. She did come around just fine. Several times today I put her back with Rosie and the littermates, help her get attached and made sure she was nursing well before leaving her there. Each time when I came back she was pushed to the side and cold. Even the inside of her mouth was cold. That was not good. I kept tube feeding her and kept her in my shirt.

There is such a world of difference between having a litter with no problems pups, and a litter with a high needs pup. This is exhausting and I'm getting behind in my emails.

Rosie's family came to visit her and the pups this evening. I feel like such a big meanie keeping people's beloved pet dogs and not letting them have them for almost 2 months. Rosie is sad, Josie is sad, both their families are sad. It gets me wondering if the guardian program is such a good thing. Well, the alternative would be to keep a dozen dogs out in a kennel. Yes, it is hard for these three litters, but the guardian program is good. I have to keep telling myself that.

No comments: