Thursday, July 27, 2006

Velvet needs a new home. There, I said it. I can't believe I'm serious. She seems to be tired of having puppies around. She is crabby with them. She doesn't help with them like Kori does. Velvet told me she wants a house where she can play and romp with another dog and just lounge around on the couch and beds and not have to deal with little puppies trying to climb on her and chew her ears and tail.

Forgot to mention yesterday that Lovey came back home. She had gone home with Duchess but is just too much puppy for her. She weighs more that Duchess and kept knocking her down trying to play. Duchess was too polite and wouldn't tell Lovey to go away. Really, Duchess doesn't care if there are any other dogs around as long as she has a person to attach herself to. So, Lovey will hang out here and have her hips and eyes tested in another 3 weeks. If she passes she will join our breeding team. If she doesn't pass she will be made available again, of course with full disclosure of why she is available.

Two of Duchess' boys got neutered today. They are only 3 1/2 pounds and I was so worried about them. One thing I was worried about is them getting hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) from going without food or water. That is a big risk for tiny dogs. When I scheduled the appointment the new tech told me not to give the pups any food or water after 6 p.m. the night before. That is insane. I took away their food and water 2 1/2 hours before taking them in. Since I woke them up to take it away I'm sure it had been a little while since they had eaten. Anyway, when I took the pups in to the vet I had them look at and check the pups to see if they are too little to neuter instead of just dropping them off. They said they would be just fine. I also requested to be allowed to pick the pups up as soon as they wake up. I didn't want to have to leave them there all day as usual. Again, I was worried about them becoming hypoglycemic. They don't feed or water the pups after surgery. So it was 8:30 when I left them there and they called at noon saying they were all done and I could go pick them up. When I got there the pups looked just the same (well except for underneath). I mean, they didn't appear groggy at all. They looked perky and happy. The vet came out and talked to me. He said these little guys are easier yet to neuter. The incision was so tiny that it didn't even need one single stitch and there was not one drop of blood. They had the laser surgery. Having him use the laser increases my cost of the surgery by 50% but it is worth it. I am so blown away that I took a picture. I see these guys and how easy the surgery for them and think of all the adult dogs that have it done and how miserable they are and having to wear the awful lampshade on their head. Here, look at this picture of Little Richard.
No stitch or anything. He hasn't licked at it or acted uncomfortable or anything. This is way so much better than on an older dog.
Today's vet bill, not including Jolene = $450.00

Jolene is still in the hospital. She does not have feline leukemia or any other infectious disease. It is looking like maybe toxicity, but we are not sure what. She has never been outside since moving here. We do not have any houseplants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.